Minister for Defence Industry Media Release – Australian defence industry awarded $3.2 million in grants
March 29, 2023
AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE INDUSTRY AWARDED $3.2 MILLION IN GRANTS
More than $3.2 million in grants have been awarded to six Australian small and medium businesses that are supporting the manufacturing of defence capabilities.
The Defence Global Competitiveness and Sovereign Industrial Capability Priority grant programs provide 50 per cent matching grants to assist Australian small and medium enterprises build capabilities for defence industry and overcome barriers to export.
The six recipients awarded include:
• Lightforce (SA) receiving $1 million to commission new capabilities for manufacturing through-life support for precision riflescopes, night vision and other optic or electro-optic products.
• Integra Systems (VIC) receiving $1 million to install panel bending and fibre optic laser cutters for a range of capability programs.
• XTEK Limited (ACT) receiving $747,707 to acquire and commission a custom press and a new virtual machining centre, enhancing lightweight helmets and body armour and improving helmet production capacity and export market opportunities.
• Direct Edge Manufacturing (TAS) receiving $342,470 to purchase specialised cutting equipment which will support the upgrade of land combat and protected mobility vehicle components.
• Stahl Metall (VIC) receiving $74,900 to install wire braiding and testing units to increase in-house manufacturing capability relevant to the international defence aerospace sector.
• Fire System Services (SA) receiving $62,212 to install new equipment, enhancing its testing and certified maintenance of pressure vessels for a range of capability.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Defence Industry, the Hon Pat Conroy MP:
“By investing in these six businesses, we are investing and securing more jobs and opportunities for our Defence Industry.
“These grants provide Australians the opportunity to deliver cutting-edge manufacturing and maintenance capabilities for our Australian Defence Force, and contribute to our national defence requirements.
“The Defence Global Competitiveness and Sovereign Industrial Capability Priority grant programs are enhancing the ability of Australian businesses to manufacture products that will serve Defence needs both here and abroad.”
To date, more than 200 Australian business have been awarded these grants. Companies can apply for grant support at any time through: www.business.gov.au/grants-and-programs.
29 MARCH 2023
(02) 6277 7840
Authorised by The Hon Pat Conroy MP, Minister for Defence Industry, NSW