Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. values and respects the privacy of the people we deal with. Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and other applicable privacy laws and regulations.
What is personal information?
“Personal information” means any information or opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. In general terms, this includes information or an opinion that personally identifies you either directly (e.g. your name) or indirectly.
What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us or what you choose to share with us.
Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. is a membership-based not-for-profit organisation. We provide a range of services to our members and third parties. Most of our membership and clientele are companies but we invariably deal with individuals.
The personal information we collect about you may include:
- Full name;
- Mailing or street address;
- Date of birth;
- Email address;
- Phone number;
- Mobile number;
- Company name;
- Australian Business Number (ABN);
- Company website;
- And any other information that is required to create the membership account.
The essence of our business is communication and so we collect the personal information of individuals from our websites, our servers (emails) and other electronic means like telecommunication facilities. We also collect it through exchange of business cards, referrals from other individuals, attendance registers and sometimes we purchase databases for particular purposes.
We collect information about you and your interactions with us, for example, when you purchase or use any of our products or services, call us or otherwise visit our website. The information we collect from you may include your identity and contact details, your history of purchases and use of our products and services and details of enquiries or complaints you make.
In most cases, the information will only involve your name and your business title or position, your business email addresses and mobile phone number. Depending on the purposes for the collection, we may necessarily have to include for legal compliance purposes, your birthdate and place, home and work addresses, personal mobile telephone numbers or direct landline numbers.
Our services may be based around the exchange of information and advice on industry, workplace and employment related matters affecting businesses in Australia. Most of the personal information about individuals that we collect in whatever form and from whatever source, is used only so that we can communicate more effectively and efficiently with them, and numerous clients, contractors, government departments and agencies in the performance of our contractual obligations.
In every mode of collection or use, we follow the guidelines and rules laid down by the Australian Privacy Principles. Our compliance procedures can be overridden by legal process – law enforcement, regulatory intervention, and emergency health or safety issues all take priority to our protocols and procedures.
We only collect the information we need to provide you with the services you seek or are likely to be interested in due to the nature of our relationship. Generally, it’s to administer that relationship, whether in membership (and delivery of membership services), or for supplies, acquisitions or disposals of assets or interests, potential clients, contractual or legal compliance and insurance purposes.
We do not collect tax file numbers or other government identifiers of individuals, except as a legal necessity, if you are an individual carrying on a business we will collect and use the ABN of that business for our business and tax requirements.
Under certain circumstances, Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. may need to collect sensitive information about you. This might include any information or opinion about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, sexual preferences, criminal record, or health information.
If we collect your sensitive information, we will do so only with your consent, if it is necessary to prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or as otherwise required or authorised by law, and we take appropriate measures to protect the security of this information.
Why do we collect, hold and use your personal information?
We collect, maintain, and use your personal information in order to:
- deliver products and services to you and manage our relationship with you;
- We will contact you, for instance, to respond to your questions or complaints, or if we need to convey vital information;
- comply with our legal obligations and aid government, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies; or
- We will identify and inform you of additional products and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
We may not be able to provide you with our services, communicate with you, or respond to your inquiries if you do not provide us with your personal information.
The only personally identifiable information we may solicit and collect directly from you or from another entity about you is the information that is reasonably required for us to perform our duties and activities for you. In addition, Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. occasionally delivers a number of government-funded programs on behalf of a State/Territory, the Commonwealth, or one of their agencies.
Examples of personal information we may collect include:
- Personal information furnished in response to a request, direction, or order
- Personal information provided by another entity in response to a request, instruction, or agreement for the sharing or transfer of information.
- Personal information disclosed at a business meeting where it pertains to the subject matter of the meeting, including business cards exchanged.
- An application or form filled out and submitted by an individual.
- A receipt for payment by credit card
- identifying individuals in video footage.
- A employment application submitted in response to either a job advertisement or an organization-maintained expression of interest register.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you when you:
- Interact with us over the phone;
- interact with us in person;
- interact with us online;
- participate in surveys or questionnaires;
- register and attend an Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. event;
- subscribe to our mailing list;
- apply for a position with us as an employee, contractor or volunteer;
- membership applications, notices, invoices and order forms;
- forms and notices for statutory compliance purposes (such as consents to act);
- project and consultancy proposals and contracts for services;
- business cards;
- publicly available directories and publications.
In some instances, we use the services of a formal personal information collection agency or third party to collect information. (We are going to inform you when it originates from someone other than you). You must ensure that you have the consent of the individual whose personal information you provide to us, particularly if it is an employee or contractor of yours.
Our online services, including web browsers, log information collectors, and cookies, do not collect personally identifiable information about individuals. You can disable cookies and opt out of online advertising, yet there is a risk that you and your organisation will not receive the services you have requested from us, as well as updates and other information germane to our relationship with you.
We may also collect data from third parties, such as training associations, credit bureaus, and referral services.
How do we retain and maintain personal data?
We store the majority of your information in computer systems and databases that we or our external service providers administer.
While the majority of our data is currently stored in Australian data centres, there may be instances where your data is accessible to foreign recipients due to the nature of the transaction you pursue with us or the communication facility used. These types of disclosures are intended for software solutions, help desk support, or simple storage via contracted service providers or facilities that include cloud storage options.
Please be aware that by using our telecommunication facilities and particularly our internet access, you consent to the possibility that the data we collect for the service transaction or relationship will be disclosed overseas and to unidentified locations. This applies to situations in which we are conducting normal business operations.
There may be paper files containing information about you that are stored securely.
We implement and maintain procedures and security measures to safeguard the personal information in our possession against misuse, interference, or loss, as well as unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure.
Among these mechanisms and systems are:
- the use of identity and access management technologies to control access to systems on which information is processed and stored;
- requiring all employees to comply with internal information security policies and keep information secure; and
- monitoring and regularly reviewing the organization’s practices in comparison to our own policies and industry best practices.
When personal information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected or for any secondary purpose permitted by the APPs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify it. We have implemented procedures that facilitate the destruction or de-identification of personal data when it is no longer required for the objectives for which it was collected (unless such data is required for legal reasons).
Collecting personal information from third parties
We may also collect your personal information from third parties or through publicly available sources.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information for many purposes in connection with our functions and activities, including the following purposes:
- Provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- deliver to you a more personalised experience and service offering;
- improve the quality of the services we offer;
- internal administrative purposes;
- marketing and research purposes;
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in accordance with this Policy in circumstances where you would reasonably expect us to disclose your information. For example, we may disclose your personal information to:
- our third party service providers (for example, our IT providers);
- our marketing providers;
- our professional services advisors;
We may also share your personal information with parties outside our corporate family when:
- You may have expressly consented to the disclosure;
- your consent may be reasonably inferred from the circumstances;
- we are otherwise permitted to disclose the information under the Privacy Act.
We may transfer your personal information to a new owner if ownership or control of all or a portion of our business changes.
Transfer of personal information overseas
Some of the third-party service providers we disclose personal information to may be based in or have servers located outside of Australia.
Where we disclose your personal information to third parties overseas, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that data security and appropriate privacy practices are maintained. We will only disclose to overseas third parties if:
- you have given us your consent to disclose personal information to that third party; or
- we reasonably believe that the overseas recipient is subject to a law or binding scheme that is, overall, substantially similar to the APPs; and
- the law or binding scheme can be enforced; or
- the disclosure is required or authorised by an Australian law or court / tribunal
How do we protect your personal information?
Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold about you is kept confidential and secure, including by:
- having a robust physical security of our premises and databases / records;
- taking measures to restrict access to only personnel who need that personal information to effectively provide services to you;
- having technological measures in place (for example, anti-virus software, fire walls).
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services, opportunities, or events that we consider may be of interest to you if you have requested or consented to receive such communications. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Australian Spam Act 2003 (Cth). You consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by following the instructions to “unsubscribe” set out in the relevant communication / contacting us using the details set out in the “How to contact us” section below.
In addition, we may also use your personal information or disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes of advertising, including online behavioural advertising, website personalisation, and to provide targeted or retargeted advertising content to you (including through third party websites).
Retention of personal information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need to. In most cases, this means that we will only retain your personal information for the duration of your relationship with us unless we are required to retain your personal information to comply with applicable laws, for example record-keeping obligations.
How to access and correct your personal information
Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. will endeavour to keep your personal information accurate, complete and up to date.
If you wish to make a request to access and / or correct the personal information we hold about you, you should make a request by contacting us and we will usually respond within 7 days.
Links to third party sites
Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. website(s) may contain links to websites operated by third parties. If you access a third party website through our website(s), personal information may be collected by that third party website. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party provider or website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party provider or website. Third party providers / websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Inquiries and complaints
For complaints about how Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. handles, processes or manages your personal information, please contact email@example.com. Note we may require proof of your identity and full details of your request before we can process your complaint.
Please allow up to 14 business days for Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. to respond to your complaint. It will not always be possible to resolve a complaint to everyone’s satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd.’s response to a complaint, you have the right to contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (at www.oaic.gov.au/) to lodge a complaint.
How to contact us
If you have a question or concern in relation to our handling of your personal information or this Policy, you can contact us for assistance as follows:
Attention: Australian Industry & Defence Network Ltd. Privacy Officer
Mailing Address: PO Box 5541, Kingston, ACT 2604